How exactly should you choose a foundation repair company? At last count, over 120 companies were offering foundation repair services. Some offer extremely low cost foundation repair. There are a few simple steps to choosing a foundation repair company.
- The Foundation Repair Association imposes strict requirements of integrity on its member companies. You can check here for FRA membership at their site foundation repair.org. If a company advertises that it is licensed in the art of foundation repair, watch out. There is no license for this trade in Texas.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau for accreditation rating and complaints. With regard to complaints, problems do sometimes arise. Check that the company promptly resolved the complaint.
- Confirm a valid liability insurance policy of at least $1 million dollars. If the unexpected occurs, you need assurance that the contractor can cover the damages.
- Worker’s Compensation Insurance is extremely important in Texas. It protects the employee, the contractor, and the homeowner. This insurance is normally paid by the contractor. It is not cheap, so many forgo the expense. If there is no Texas Worker’s Compensation Insurance, an employee injured on your property can sue you for all medical expenses. Don’t accept a contractor’s promises to assume all liability. A contractor can not limit the employee’s ability to sue you, the homeowner. The employee can not sue for medical expenses if he is covered by Worker’s Compensation Insurance.
- Verify that the company has a clearly written, understandable and transferable warranty for all foundation repairs. There is no insurance company in Texas that underwrites foundation repair and there is no State owned trust fund.
- Verify all the terms of the contract. Do not accept any verbal promises.
- Obtain a copy of the installation procedures for the repair method that you are buying.
- Obtain references.
- Obtain in writing that the company will not employ sub-contractors (who might not be insured).
- Don’t be pressured to make a fast decision because of a $500 gift card or a deep discount offer.
So remember before you choose a foundation repair company, get the facts! Be sure that the company you choose is licensed and insured with a credible history!